NJ Attorney Michael J. Rogers
Michael J. Rogers has extensive trial experience involving criminal, civil and personal injury cases, family and juvenile law, and administrative and municipal violations. He has defended hundreds of criminal cases ranging from routine traffic violations to indictable matters, including death penalty cases. Mr. Rogers has practiced in all venues, including municipal court, State Superior Court and Federal Court.
In addition to criminal cases, Mr. Rogers has represented municipalities in matters involving sensitive, complex employee issues. He is also proficient in matters involving education law, having served as School Board Attorney for Holland Township (1981 – 2000) and for the Borough of Somerville (1990 – present). As a former municipal prosecutor, Mr. Rogers brings a unique perspective to the cases he handles being experienced on both sides of the litigation process.
As a testament to his reputation as a successful criminal litigator, Mr. Rogers has been named by Thomson Reuters to the list of Super Lawyers in the field of criminal litigation for ten years, from 2006 to 2013, and 2016 to 2017.
- Somerset County Bar Association, where he has served as Trustee, Chairperson for the Criminal and Municipal Court Practice Committee, and member of the Committee on Judicial and Prosecutorial Nominations
- Somerset County Republican Committee, where he was also a member of the Committee on Judicial and Prosecutorial Nominations
- Somerset County Speedy Trial Committee, where he serves as Representative of the Private Bar (1991- present)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (1980 – present)
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (1985 – present)
- Hunterdon County Bar Association (2010 – present)
- District XIII Ethics Committee, where he served as a member for Hunterdon, Somerset and Warren Counties for eight years
- Counsel for Holland Township Volunteer Fire Company, where he has been a Charter Member since 1980
- Volunteer Attorney for Somerset-Sussex Legal Services
- Somerset County Early Settlement Panel (Chancery Division, Family Part)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Oak Hill Golf Club, Inc. of Holland Township, where he also served as President in 1983, 1994, 2010 and 2011
- Professional Legal Counseling for clients of the Somerset County Women’s Resource Center
Mr. Rogers received his law degree in 1979 from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal (1978 – 1979). He was admitted to the Supreme Court of New Jersey (1979); the United States District Court, District of New Jersey (1979); the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1981); and the Supreme Court of the United States (1996).
Click Michael J. Rogers’ Published Legal Opinions to view a list of Mr. Rogers’ published opinions.